Why Don't You
Raise your hand if you've been stressed in the last month. Keep it raised if you've been stressed at some point today. Keep it up if you stress out thinking about the weeks ahead. Keep it up if you're stressed out right now and reading this blog post is making you stress even harder because either a) you should be doing something else, b) I won't stop saying the word "stress," or c) both.
I know, you guys. Me too. I can't make your to do list any shorter, your gift wrapping pile any smaller, or your flight home for the holidays any cheaper. But if you want to stress a little less right this minute, why don't you...
- Pick a song and just move your body through the whole duration of it. Dance, move through a sun salutation, stretch, lift weights, do pushups and crunches, find whatever movement feels good and just do it.
- Wear red lipstick.
- Create a playlist that reminds you of your favorite day, experience, year, night out...
- Give your office or apartment a good dusting and then light a fresh candle.
- Close the door, sit on the floor, and close your eyes. Straighten your spine and empty your lungs. Take a long breath down into your belly, inhaling through the nose. Hold. Exhale, again through the nose, for as long as you can. Repeat for a few minutes.
- Get rid of something that needs to be thrown in the garbage or taken to be donated.
- Curl your hair to go nowhere, just because it's fun.
- Watch Love Actually.
- Stand under a hot shower with your favorite song on repeat and sing at the top of your voice.
- Pick up your favorite book and turn to a random page. Start reading.
- Unfollow the people whose posts you always "ugh" at and scroll past on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook.
- Make a list of things you're proud of yourself for accomplishing this year.
- Make a list of things you're proud of your loved ones for accomplishing this year. Then pick up the phone or your pen and call, text, or write them and say so.
- Plan a vacation and get excited when you realize you really, really want to make it happen in 2016.
- Research charitable organizations concerned with a cause you care a lot about and make a goods, time, or financial donation to one or several of them.
- Add an extra sugar to your coffee or tea.
- Read all the posts on my Best Of page.
- Go for a run. Or a walk. Yes, outside, even if it's cold. Wear a coat and get yourself under the sun for ten damn minutes.
- Paint your nails.
- Take three deep cleansing breaths. Like this: Lengthen your spine to create space in your diaphragm. Take a deep breath in through the nose and hold it for three seconds. Open your mouth, stick out your tongue, force the air out from the back of your throat. If you had onions for lunch, do this in private.