18 Reasons I'm Actually Totally Dateable, I Swear
I think it's important to be honest with yourself about what you are, who you are, and what you bring to any equation—in business, at home, in relationships. I've spent a lot of my adult life to this point in introspective contemplation about who I am. What I can change about myself—what I should change about myself—and what is just the "price of admission" to pay for an interaction or relationship with me. For example, I can't help but talk with my hands, so if you're wearing a white dress near me, you'll want to put the pizza or red wine down.
As proof of this self-reflection and honesty, I offer this post I wrote a while back: Six things I totally confess make me borderline undateable. However, as that's been rendered untrue and I actually *gasp* have a date this weekend, I think it's important to go in prepared and spend some time reflecting on reasons I'm not totally undateable. Ladies and gentlemen, here's why I swear I really am a great date:
One at a time, gents.
- I'll almost never say no to grabbing a meal, so date-planning needn't be difficult. Just feed me.
- When I say "I don't care" in response to the food options you've presented, I really don't care. I can eat sushi, pizza, or Mexican food 100% of the time and I literally cannot choose between them.
- I never say "I'm fine" when I'm not fine.
- I think public fighting is super tacky and will never engage in a Ron and Sammi brawl.
- I don't require over-the-top romantic gestures. In fact, they make me super uncomfortable. Don't bring me flowers.
- When I offer to pay or split the check, I mean it.
- I'll drive.
- Unless you want to, and you know where we're going better than I do.
- My Spotify has something for everybody, so I will let you have input on car music. Also if we take my car we can listen to 90s on 9, which is all anyone really needs.
- It's my reflex to take my bra off Flashdance-style the minute I walk in the door to my apartment.
- I'm starting to learn how to be better about not letting little annoyances turn me off completely. I'm getting there.
- I won't be offended if you tell me I'm being annoying, because you'll be right. And then I will try to stop.
- I'm very intuitive so you probably won't have to tell me.
- Don't worry, I'll clean the kitchen after dinner. Seriously. No, stop. Just don't bother, you're doing it wrong anyway.
- I know all the words to "Ice Ice Baby" in case we happen to find ourselves in the middle of an impromptu lip sync battle.
- I'll never ask you to hold my purse when I go into a store. And for that matter, never ask you to come clothes shopping with me because I hate clothes shopping and turn into a She-Devil when I have to do it. I want to get in and out and you'll just slow me down.
- My apartment is always clean. I've actually been made fun of before for having it the same level of clean whether I am or am not expecting company.
- I'm really good at pub trivia.
One at a time, gents.